Explore Tobermory and Mull
Renowned as one of the best places in the UK for wildlife watching and photography, the Isle of Mull is home to otters, red deer, golden eagles, white tailed eagles and hen harriers. Walking along the coastline or on a boat trip you may encounter basking sharks, minke whales, pods of bottle-nose and common dolphins, porpoises, otters and many seabirds including puffins which breed on Lunga.
Land based wildlife tours
and sea trips including
Some boat trips also visit the stunning Fingals Cave on Staffa, a sea cave formed from hexagonal basalt columns. This cave inspired Felix Mendelssohn's overture 'The Hebrides' after his visit in 1829.
- Mull Birds informs visitors about Mull birds and encourages reporting of sightings.
- Mull Otter Group is a local organisation involved with otter conservation on Mull.
Mull is a wonderful island for walking, offering coastal paths, forest tracks and loch shore paths, a beautiful white sandy beach at Calgary and a munro - Ben More. Short walks to the Rubha nan Gall lighthouse and Aros Park start in Tobermory. Mull Magic offer guided walks for all abilities.
Cycling is very popular and there are several forest track routes on the island, as well as cyclocross events. Bikes including electric bikes can be hired locally.
Music and Arts
Tobermory has a theatre, arts centre, galleries and several venues around Tobermory which feature live music. It also hosts Mendelssohn on Mull week in early July, the local Mod and a fiddlers rally in September. Local pipers lead the procession from the Main Street to the games field for the Tobermory Highland Games held in July.
Food and Drink
Tobermory has a wide choice of restaurants and bars serving food from the award-winning Cafe Fish, and highly acclaimed Highland Cottage, to al fresco fish and chips from the van on the pier. Sit out at one of the several cafes with a coffee or glass of wine and watch the fishing boats unload their catch for the local restaurants. Take a tour round the distillery and sample the local Tobermory and Ledaig whiskies, also try the locally made cheeses, ice cream and chocolates.
Other Tobermory Attractions
- Mull Aquarium in Tobermory is the first live capture and release aquarium in Europe, where you can get hands on experience with our local marine life.
- Take the Balamory Trail and photograph the properties used in the popular children's tv series.
- Mull Rally - experience the thrills of the car rally held on closed island roads during October.
- Tobermory golf course has 9 holes with stunning views over Tobermory Bay and welcomes visitors.
- It is rumoured sunken treasure from a Spanish Galleon still lies in Tobermory Harbour - visit our local Museum for more details.